picture

searchwarp.com

Thursday 3 May 2012

Burdens to bear...allergies

Galatians chapter 6 contains some interesting points to ponder. In verse 2 it says we are to bear one another's burdens -Galatians 6:2 - " 2Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ." but then a few verses farther in verse 5 it says everyone must bear his own burden. Verse 5: -"5For every man shall bear his own burden."  This is not a contadiction but what does this mean? 
Many of us carry burdens of various sorts but let's just take a health issue as an example. There are many different health issues one could consider -such as arthritis, diabetes, cancer, or allergies such as to pollen in the spring, or to milk as I am or to gluten.  I want to consider a gluten allergy since a member in my  family ( that is my husband) carries that burden.  Gluten is found in food that is made with wheat, barley, and most oatmeal. No amount of gluten in the diet is acceptable. The diet must be completely gluten free.  That means that a person with an intolerance to gluten must avoid eating any regular breads, pasta, cereals, cakes, cookies, crackers, desserts as well as always looking for hidden gluten in foods such as in deli meats, hotdogs, sausages, and sauces.  Reading the ingredient list on a food item is highly important as well as knowing what is meant by certain words. Going out to eat in a restaurant, to family gatherings  or church meal is quite challenging because one needs to know what the ingredients are in any given dish that is served. So in one way of looking at this, gluten intolerance it is a type of burden to bear. Not an impossible task but something that one needs to be thinking about day in and day out.  This is a burden that I (as his wife) can help my husband to bear. I can do my part to help by cooking meals at home that are gluten free. We eat at home as much as possible. I can make buns, muffins and cakes gluten free.  I purchase regular white rice and grind it to flour at home which I then use to make chocolate chip cookies. Some extended family members enjoy the challenge of cooking this way occasionally and are glad to invite us over. Also it is becoming easier to find gluten free food products in the grocery stores as more and more people are being diagnosed with this problem. There are specialty health food stores that carry gluten free mixes for cakes, muffins, and pizza crust as well as gluten free pasta that is made from corn or rice.
On the other hand, in Galatians 6:5 it says - 5For every man shall bear his own burden.  Thinking again of the gluten allergy, it is burden he must bear on his own. One must constantly be trying to think positively and be thankful to be able to have the modified food though everyone else around is eating the regular pizza, or burgers, birthday cake, or pasta dish. One must be disciplined to eat right or suffer the consequences.
Christ gives us the strength we need to bear our burdens. We depend on Him to provide all our needs.

2 Corinthains12:9 - And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment