picture

searchwarp.com

Tuesday 15 May 2012

Fuel for the Soul!

The other day I went to the gas station to fill up the family van. The tank was mostly empty again. As I stood there filling in the gasoline, it reminded me of the importance of filling up our spiritual tanks regulary.  Just as we can not run our vehicles very far on an empty tank, neither can we live in victory as Christians if we do not take time with the Lord daily. It is important that as individuals we spend time reading our Bibles and praying every day. A person might say " I am too busy to read and pray, I have a lot to get done today." But from my own experience I can tell you that time with God is never time wasted. There is really nothing else as sweet as being in God's presence in personal time with Him. Someone has said that if we are too busy to read our Bibles and pray everyday then we are just too busy. I would say that for me, the day goes better if I make my time with the Lord a real priority.
The Bible likens feeding our souls to the intake of food or milk. In John 6:35 Jesus says : " I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."
Jesus satisfies our deepest longings and needs. No one can do this except Jesus. When we take the Word into our own life and apply it to ourselves personally, we are really blessed.
In 1 Peter 2:2 it says - As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:  Just as a baby needs milk in order to grow and mature so we also need the milk of God's Word to grow in our Christian walk. We begin with milk and grow and mature in our faith and come to need the meat of the Word.
Someone may say - But what if I cannot remember what I have read, what does it help me?  When we put the Word of God in our minds through Bible reading, it slowly grows us and shapes us into right thinking and helps us to live a  God-honoring life. We need the consistant intake of God's Word to become  more and more like Jesus. Consider the  nourishing of our physical bodies with food, we cannot remember either what we have had for lunch or supper a couple of days ago but still it has nurtured us and helped us and carried us till our next meal. So it is also in our spiritual life. It helps us immediately and also in the long-term.
The Bible says in 2 Timothy  that the Bible is written by the inspiration of God Himself.
2 Timothy 3:15-17 says
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

As Woodrow Kroll says - God only wrote one book and He'd be pleased to have us read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment