picture

searchwarp.com

Monday 16 July 2012

Sunday Sermon Review - Worship Part 1

Sunday Sermon Review July 15, 2012 - Worship in Our Everday

Today our church began a summer series on Worship. The series will continue throughout the summer months.

The service always begins with singing. Among other newer songs, an old favorite was also sung. That is the song "I'll Fly Away".
The worship leader continued the thoughts of the lines of the song "I'll Fly Away" and he reminded us that we will all leave this earth either by death or fly to meet Jesus in the air when He returns to earth. He reminded us to be clearminded, self-controlled, to pray and study our Bibles as we wait for the Lord.
It was so good to hear the worship leader exhort the congregation like this and to then to pray earnestly for the Lord's protection and guidance and giving thanks to the Lord for his goodness to us. The worship leader continued as he reminded us that we gather in church to worship and not to be entertained by the various aspects of the service. So often people are so focused on the earthly and material things of life, I thought this exhortation from the worship leader was like a breath of fresh air.
The Service continued with the reading of Psalm 63: 1-8 which is posted at the bottom of the post.

Our Intern Pastor brought the message entitled "Worshiping God Everday".
Here is some of what he said.

Worship means to show honor and to respect, to glorify.
To Glorify is to make something glorious, to praise, and to admire.
Everyone worships something - Either God or something in this world
Misguided worship includes worshipping money, sex, another person or one self

What is True Worship?
God desires our worship all to Himself, Him alone
Worship is our response ( personal, and corporate) to God for who He is and for what He has done. Our response is worship in action.
Worship is not entertainment or a spectator sport.

Exodus 20:3 -  Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Psalm 81:9 -  There shall no strange god be in thee; neither shalt thou worship any strange god.
Matthew 4:10 - Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
God created all things, all of us, the entire universe
He is awesome in power and majesty

Isaiah 55: 8-9 says For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

God loves us and desires a relationship with us. He sent His only begotten Son in flesh and blood to live among us, and to die on the cross to save us to eternal salvation.

God is Holy
We are wicked without Christ.
He is the only One worthy of our worship
Romans 11:36 - For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen
We Worship God with a Pure Heart

Romans 12:1 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Worship affects our everyday life, in our choices, our relationships and in our actions.
We cannot separate our spiritual life from our everyday life

Challenge to Congregation:
View your life as worship to God, Lift up your entire life to God everyday as a response to Him.
Repent of the things in your life that do not please the Lord.

Psalm 63: 1-8
O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.
My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.
Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.

No comments:

Post a Comment