picture

searchwarp.com

Tuesday 1 January 2013

Portzelky - A Mennonite New Years Tradition!

Happy New Year! With the arrival of New Year's Day come family traditions - maybe you have something special you do on New Years. As many of you who follow my blog and have read more of my posts will know, we are Mennonites. And as Mennonites we have traditional foods that we enjoy as part of our heritage. So growing up in my Mennonite family, my Mom always made Portzelky for New Year's Day, as also her Mother did before her. And now I carry on that tradition with my family - so today I made Portzelky for lunch. What is Portzelky? It is a deep fried treat that is very closely related to the apple fritters you can buy at most bake shops or even at a Tim Hortons except that these Portzelky have raisins in them and not apples as other fritters have.
Here is a picture of my New Years Day Portzelky!
My New Years Day Portzelky
 And here is a recipe for you in case you decide to try them!
Portzelky Recipe
2 cups warm milk
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 and 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil or melted butter
1 teaspoon salt
6 eggs, well beaten
6 cups flour ( more or less to make stiff batter )
2 pounds raisins  - I use about 2 cups but you can use more
Stir the yeast into lukewarm water. In large mixing bowl beat together the milk, sugar, oil or butter, salt and eggs. Add the yeast/water mixture and stir well. Stir in raisins and flour. Stir in a cup of flour at a time and stirring it in well with wooden spoon. Batter should be very stiff but still sticky. Set batter in warm place to rise about 45 minutes. Drop by tablespoons in hot oil in deep fat fryer. Fry on both sides till done - a medium golden brown. Cool on absorbant paper towel. Serve with granulated sugar to dip or coat with icing sugar. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment